Reyðarfjörður is the longest and widest of Iceland’s eastern fjords, more than 30 km. long. Norwegians used to operate whaling stations along the fjord and fishing was frequented along the coastline. The town Búðareyri benefits from the shelter at the bottom of the fjord, where the harbour is naturally optimal. Thus in 1909, when the road through Fagridalur to Egilsstaðir was completed, it became a trade centre for the region.Today the aluminium smelter is the main employer. During World War II, Reyðarfjörður was occupied by british forces. The remains of the occupation are fairly visible, ranging from an airport and old barracks to small gun shelters. In 1995 the War Time Museum was founded in an empty Freezing Plant and now extends to some of the old barracks. An interesting museum in a country that was never at war.
An easy, marked hiking path leads onto the mountain from Fagradalur valley and there is also a magnificent hiking path along the beautiful Geithúsaá river ravine. Large boulders in the shrubbery could be mistaken for elf domiciles, but are in fact deposits left by avalanches and landslides from the mountain.