Reynistadur is a farm and a church site, approximately 10 kilometres to the south of the fishing town Sauðárkrókur. Its original name was “Staður on Reynisnes”. Earlier it was a mansion and the seat of the earl Gissur Þorvaldsson in the 13th century.
A catholic convent was established here in 1295. Its operation continued until 1552, and gathered earthly wealth. After the reformation, Reynistaður frequently was the seat of district magistrates and the agents of the church properties.